Question from the Customer:
I am new to USB and just purchased my first Beagle USB Protocol Analyzer. The product manual does a splendid job explaining how USB works and the Data Center Software User Manual illustrates how easy it is to start a capture.
What I am looking for is a simple, straightforward path to getting started - after I connect the Beagle USB 12 Protocol Analyzer to the software and start capturing the data, what do I do to wade through the data - analyze and debug? Do you have tutorials for the more novice users like myself to get started, and maybe a few other tutorials to help bring me up to a more advanced level?
Response from Technical Support:
Thanks for your question! In addition to the user manuals, we have many resources for you to learn how to use the Beagle USB 12 Protocol Analyzer. For starters, we recommend the Beagle USB 12 Protocol Analyzer Quick Start Guide. It gives you a good jumpstart about using the Beagle analyzer with the Data Center Software: how to configure the Beagle analyzer for the desired speed, capture USB data, and then save or export the data for future analysis.
|Figure 1: Beagle USB 12 Protocol Analyzer
Full/Low speed USB 2.0 Data Descriptor Parsing
For easy to follow demonstrations about using the data, we have two videos that may be useful to you. Both videos refer to using a Beagle 480 analyzer - they also apply to the Beagle 12 analyzer because the Data Center software is used for both devices.
|USB Debugging using a Real-Time USB Bus Monitor Video||Using the Bus Tree Feature of the Data Center Software for USB Debugging and Analysis Video|
- USB Debugging using a Real-Time USB Bus Monitor Video shows how to connect the Beagle analyzer, and examples of how real-time live data can be captured, viewed and filtered with the Data Center Software.
- Using the Bus Tree Feature of the Data Center Software for USB Debugging and Analysis Video shows how to filter data from selected devices, as well as the important descriptor information that you can pick up from the devices under test. For more information about the bus tree feature, please refer to section 5.4 of the Data Center Software User manual.
Additional resources that you may find helpful include the following:
- Beagle Protocol Analyzer User Manual
- Beagle USB 12 Protocol Analyzer Quick Start Guide
- Data Center Software User Manual
- USB Background
We hope this answers your question. If you have other questions about our protocol analyzers or other Total Phase products, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or if you already own one of our devices and have a technical question, please submit a request for technical support.