CAN Bus Hacking in Vehicles

If you’re a Criminal Minds fan, you’ll know this TV drama produces fictional and enticing crime episodes where police and FBI agents investigate unique crimes and their perpetrators. One recent episode, “Collision Course”, focused on a crime where hackers targeted vehicles and took control of the vehicle’s controller area network, the...

Getting started with automotive audio bus analysis? Here’s an overview about using the Total Phase A2B Bus Monitor.

We just created a new video  to help you understand and easily use the Automotive Audio A2BTM bus analyzer for the automotive audio bus.  Here’s an overview of what our video tutorial covers:

Automotive A2B BusPhysical Setup

The video example uses these TotalPhase components:

Which Capture Mode Best Supports My Project? How are Transactions Timestamped in the Data Center Software?

Question from the Customer:
I am using the Beagle USB 480 Protocol Analyze and the Data Center Software – I’m looking to improve throughput on a USB system. Looking at the data capture, I saw about 300ms delay between index 17 and 27. To make sure I understand the results, I have some questions:

  1. Index 18 is [177175 IN-NAK], - does that ind...

What’s going on with Nintendo Switch’s USB-C charging cables?

Sub-standard USB-C cables have caused a lot of trouble, and Nintendo is the latest company to feel the burn. Within the last couple years, Nintendo has released one its newest gaming consoles, Nintendo Switch, which combines a home console and a handheld gaming device.

Nintendo SwitchLast month, many Switch users reported their Switch units were being bricked,...

Canary Connect Use Case: Using the Aardvark I2C/SPI Host Adapter to Make Homes Safer with Embedded Technology

key-2114046_1280Embedded technology is everywhere – hidden behind the scenes of the different electronics we use every day. One of the most interesting things I find working in the embedded industry is learning about how people in various trades use technology, and how our tools help them develop the products we use every day — from wearables and consumer ...

What is the Fastest Way I Can Switch from an I2C Master I2C to I2C Slave using the Aardvark I2C/SPI Host Adapter when Testing I2C Devices?

Question from the Customer:

I am using Aardvark I2C/SPI Host Adapter, and I’ve come to a stage in the project where I could use your help.  I’m testing SMBus/I2C devices running at 400 kbps. This test includes logging the following steps (which are repeated):

  1. As an I2C Master, I need the Aardvark adapter to transmit an I2C sequential writ...

Which Beagle USB Protocol Analyzer Should I Choose to Capture the Data of High Volume Transactions at an Airport?

Beagle 480 for high-speed transactions

 Question from the Customer:

My consulting firm just got a large contract. We’ll be testing and verifying a setup for high volume sales for airport stakeholders.  The system consists of a cash register, a tablet, and printer, and connectivity to the server farm. To better monitor transactions and provide real-time information, this project...

The Inside Story of Medical Equipment and Embedded Devices

The human body is a complex system. Engineers, scientists and physicians are doing their best to keep our systems running with embedded devices and medical equipment.

embedded devices and medical equipment
Paralysis may not be a permanent condition. 

When applicable, nerve stimulation and physical therapy are used to help the brain relearn how to communicate with an area where th...

How Embedded Systems Impact Your Everyday Life

From the computer systems that control safety features in the latest automobiles to the ATMs we use regularly to access cash, embedded systems can be found everywhere in our society. In fact, a full 98% of microprocessors manufactured today will find their use in embedded systems. That leaves just 2% for use in computers!
To help our readers und...

A Primer for Embedded Systems Security

With the growing popularity of embedded systems, concerns about security and privacy of these systems have risen dramatically in a short period of time. While operating systems like Windows and MacOS have well-known antivirus solutions that are constantly updated with new virus definitions, the ubiquity and modularity of embedded systems makes t...